Thursday 10 May 2012

#IDOTAI

In Defense of the American Intellect #IDOTAI 


Thinking about how crass American culture can be and how a lot of impressionable  minds around the world are traduced by it  - and as Elwood Blues of the Blues Brothers succinctly put it  -  everyone round the round world is trying to get into a pair of blue jeans and put on a baseball cap. This seems to be so true – that along with wanting to get into a McDonalds KFC Pizza Hut Ben and Gerry’s and Starbucks etc. There have been and still are some shockingly bad American book films TV and music. The mongrel American language has eaten into and debased languages and their related social customs the world over.
Can I get rather than Can I have
I’ve gotten rather than I have
I kind a guess rather than I think
OMG rather than That’s unusual
However
There have been moments in American Cultural history which are truly worthy of the epithet and part of the creation of The Great American Dream.
I’ve started a Twitter hash tag  #IDOTAI of Americans worthy of being really great intellects where ever they were born and who can be used in defense of Americas Culture

Ezra Pound

Ralph Ellison

Richard Wright

Gore Vidal

Ray Bradbury

Walt Whitman

William Faulkner

And because it satirizes itself and its culture The Simpsons…..

So many more

No comments:

Post a Comment